[Hampshire] avconv

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] avconv
I have a problem with audio format conversion. A company called Naxos
has started distributing copies of CDs in flac format. I got one of
these (it turns out to be made up of tracks from other CDs of theirs,
more or less a sampler, so they aren't giving much away).

The files being rather large, I would like to compress them. I first
added tags using metaflac - no problem. Then I converted them to mp3
using avconv. This apparently worked, but my mp3 player (a SansaClip+)
does not like them. Any attempt to play one causes it to crash.

Examination using Rhythmbox (which can play them) shows that the
quality is "Unknown" (other mp3s have a specific bitrate). I suspect
this may be the problem - the player may well require a specific
bitrate. The quality still appears as "Unknown" even if I specify -b
128k or -aq 4 (or both) when using avconv. If I convert to ogg, the
file size is hardly reduced at all. It is possible that -b and -aq are
intended only for video formats: in which case, are there any
equivalent options for audio conversion? - I can't find any using man
avconv.

Any advice on how to solve this would be welcome.

Peter Alefounder.