Re: [Hampshire] IGMP protocol with BT home hubs

Author: Simon Reap
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] IGMP protocol with BT home hubs
On 06/03/2016 18:41, Roger Munford wrote:
> I have a problem with a new, complex system for managing ethernet
> connected solar inverters and the problem may well be down to missing
> multicasts from a BT home hub.
>

> For anybody that has followed what I have been trying to describe, do
> BT Home hubs support IGMP? is there something in the configuration
> that enables/disables it and is there a test that I can do to verify it?

The BT Home Hubs 3, 4 and 5 definitely support IGMP - BT Youview
requires it.

When the old BT freeview service stopped and I was "upgraded" to
YouView, I had to get a Home Hub 4 installed to replace my solid
reliable Netgear DG384 which didn't support IGMP (as far as I could
tell). My old Homehub 1 (once I'd retrieved it from its hiding place in
the loft) didn't work either.

There's a fairly old list of routers which support IGMP (and hence BT
YouView) at
https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Known-Routers-to-Work-with-Multicast-IGMP/td-p/994338

Simon