[Hampshire] rsync help wanted at the PLUG meeting on Saturda…

Author: Lisi Reisz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] rsync help wanted at the PLUG meeting on Saturday
I have had the following request from Harry at Rustington:

<quote>
My motive this time is to get some advice that I have not been able to get
elsewhere. I would particularly like help with making a periodic backup,
using the scheme described in Rsync Date Stamped Incremental Backups |
WebGnuru
| |
| | | | | | | |
| Rsync Date Stamped Incremental Backups | WebGnuruHow to create date stamped,

incremental, snapshot style backups with rsync. |
| |
| View on webgnuru.com | Preview by Yahoo |
| |
| |

What I don't understand is how the deletion of old backup works, and if
anything special has to done in that regard. I'd also like advice on what to
miss out of the backed up data, and how to specify it -- the available
information on rsync is complex and contradictory. If you do have anyone who
might be able to help, then it would be very nice to meet them. And if there
is a better scheme, to adopt that.
</quote>

It would be nice if someone coming were able to help Harry. He cannot get
there until 2:00 unfortunately, so any help would probably have to be partly
after the talk, which is going to be at about 3:00 this time.

Lisi