Re: [Hampshire] New Forest Solar

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New Forest Solar
On Fri, 2015-11-13 at 09:39 +0000, Roger Munford wrote:
> Gordon,
>
> I have enjoyed corresponding with you via this list very much. We are
> talking about everyday things which just don’t work as well as they
> could and it seems like they should get better but for some reason
> they don't.

Still off-topic, but...

I did once explore the possibility of building a genuine eco-home. The
full works. earth bermed, passive solar, recycled tyres, rammed earth,
straw bales, green roof, rainwater harvesting, grey-water recycling,
composting toilets, microgeneration, sun pipes. Almost "you name it".

I discussed it with a couple of county councils who were interested.
I disusssed it with several planning departments who "ran a mile". Too
strange, too scary, more than my job's worth.

I drew two conclusion.

1) Getting planning permission was a snowball in hell's chance.
2) If one wants to do it, one does it covertly and hopes that
TV will support the eco-warrior when the council demand you
bulldoze it.

> This is a particular problem for engineering types.

Like me, yes :-)

> I looked into the German waste system

Like battery recycling bins everywhere... Years and years ago...
Sigh.

G.

--
Gordon Scott.    Electronics and software engineering.
        Basingstoke UK

But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh
we deprive a soul of the sun and light,
and of that proportion of life and time
it had been born into the world to enjoy.
=== Plutarch AD44-120