Re: [Hampshire] Alternatives to TrueCrypt? (Imran Chaudhry)

Author: Anthony
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Alternatives to TrueCrypt? (Imran Chaudhry)
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015, at 12:00 PM, hampshire-request@???
wrote:
> Just wondered what software folks are using to encrypt USB HDDs?

+1

> I used TrueCrypt pretty successfully but it's now unmaintained:
> http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

Around the time it was discontinued I got the impression it would be OK
to continue using truecrypt-7.1a.

> I tried out eCryptfs sometime back but found it a bit of a hassle as
> it meant I had to mount things twice (the USB HDD and the encrypted
> partition).

Would a 'mount && mount' script be acceptable?

> What alternatives are out there which are secure, maintained and
> somewhat hassle-free when it comes to removable storage?
>
> Bonus points for GUI-based and able to be used easily with Debian stable.

I can create a desktop icon that runs a command (e.g. script) and AFAIR
put that icon on the task bar. Presumably that capability's provided by
XFCE unless it's courtesy of SolydX, which is based on XFCE and Debian.
BTW how do you tell who provides which functionality?

Anthony