[Hampshire] Making MEGA back up your files instead of syncin…

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Making MEGA back up your files instead of syncing them
I've migrated from Wuala to MEGA and missed Wuala's ability to have a
one-way sync of my files (which they called a "Backup"). This means that if
you accidentally damage things when looking at files on line the changes
aren't unleashed on your home PC. MEGA only offers a full two-way sync.

One way round is to make megasync run as a different user who only has read
access to your files, but a problem is that when you download from MEGA it
downloads things readable only by that user. (Another problem is that all
your files have to be readable by that other user).

I've found that a better way is to "bind mount" another instance of your
directory tree, which you then make read only, and point megasync at that
instead of your read-write version. You continue to read and write as
normal and megasync sees all the changes in the read only mount,
effectively making its sync into a backup.

I do this by creating a top level directory roDocuments for the bind mount
and then putting this script in /etc/rc2.d as S01-rofs:

#!/bin/bash
#present Documents as read only for backing up to MEGA
mount --bind /Disks/Data/Documents /roDocuments
mount -o remount,ro /roDocuments

I then create a sync in MEGA which points to roDocuments.

So far so good and the new version of the megasync client seems to have
sorted all the issues I had with file duplication.

HTH, Peter