Re: [Hampshire] Firewall hardware

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Firewall hardware
On Thu, Dec 11 at 11:07, Gordon Scott wrote:

> That was my thinking with the LinITX units. Three NICs on a lightweight
> fanless x86 for ??140. The ones at that price are all out-of-stock at
> present, though. I hope that's just temporary. Two NICs at sub ??100.

Be warned the LX800 is a really gutless Geode processor.
Think 500MHz Pentium with no real cache.

Buy a MicroTik RouterBoard from the same site. If you don't like
the supplied software the most of them will run debian. At least
we have several running debian in the office, don't know how easy
it was to install, didn't do the install myself. A lot are listed
on OpenWRT as well. MIPS processor core I believe.

Myself I'd go with an ARM based board like the IPC-SAMA5D35 from
armdevs.com. $140 plus postage/customs. Two ethernet ports one
of the Gigabit and loads of extras. My main reason being I've
programmed them at work so know the ins and outs, so I guess
really it's go with what you are comfortable with.

--
        Bob Dunlop