[Hampshire] GNU configure and m4

Author: David Webb
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] GNU configure and m4
For a number of years I have used OpenGL and GLUT to visualise and rotate 3-D
objects and produce figures for publication. For my latest project which
involves many hundreds of data files, I decided that I needed a better user
interface and came across GLUI which seemed to fit the bill. A git repository
installed by one of the original developers is now available at
https://github.com/nigels-com/glui.

However I when I tried to make changes I found that my glui code was unstable.
Tests using -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG and/or library -lmtrace showed that that the
program was trying to release pointers to memory it had not reserved. I
removed the glui calls and then found that with "-lmtrace" the first glut call
gave a similar error. (I presume the default without "-lmtrace" is to ignore
free() calls with invalid addresses).

As the problem might be an old bug recently corrected, the next step was to
intall the latest version of OpenGL (Mesa) and glut. This required updating a
lot of other packages but having done that and successfully run the Mesa
configure script, I get a gmake error stating that the system cannot find the
pkg-config autoconf macros which should be in "/usr/share/aclocal/pkg.m4".

Well there is such a file and it does contain PKG-CONFIG lines, so presumably
something somewhere thinks it is the wrong version.

At this point it looks like I need to get into the details of the mesa makefile
and its use of aclocal and *.m4 files - but after going through most of the GNU
manuals I feel that I am wasting time on this.

I could just give up but before doing this I could do with talking to someone
with experience of tracking down problems in this area.

Any good pointers would also be welcome.

Regards,

David Webb.