Re: [Hampshire] FTTC presentation

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FTTC presentation
A Faraday cage might be a little more elegant, but thanks for the
suggestion, anyway....!

It beats me why 'everyone' seems to go for wireless, adding needlessly to
the electro-magnetic 'fog' and making their connection slower, less
reliable and vulnerable in the process. I'm sure we all know someone who
insists on having a wireless connection between router and computer when
they are no more than a metre or so apart.

For years I've relied on an old Thomson DSL bridge and a series of
switches. No performance penalty and I fire up a wireless router only when
strictly necessary. I have several routers, but none of them lets me choose
how to connect.

No piece of kit lasts forever, though, and I'd like to find a decent,
modern router which gives me a choice.

Chris.