Re: [Hampshire] Arch vs Debian

Author: pavithran
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Arch vs Debian
On 9 October 2014 03:55, Dr Adam John Trickett
<adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> Both are probably best managed by running aptitude updates daily, and safe-
> upgades fairly regularly (e.g. weekly) but you need to watch what is being
> upgraded as sometime bits of it stops working. On the Wheezy cycle I lost X
> for a week, but that was all. On the current Jessie cycle nothings broken at
> all yet.

+1 , you need to be very active if you are running unstable , be on a
watch for what major thing is coming next and be ready for that , else
you will end up with a broken machine.
Having said that unstable is very good for all the latest stuff , you
could also add experimental for the extra punch ;)

Also another point is your drivers , if you have "proper" open source
drivers for your hardware then only go for unstable , else you will
be crying for graphics or wireless to work which would have been
working yesterday but an upgrade might have broken it.

Disclaimer: I am happily on debian wheezy the stable version and I
resent "systemd and its mess" , waiting for wayland to get stabilised
and hope for "uselessd" to come forward and kick systemd out of
GNU/Linux world .
Guess my life will be running on wheezy backports for quite some time to come :(

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri