Re: [Hampshire] Arch vs Debian

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Arch vs Debian
On 08/10/14 22:38, Lisi wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2014 20:20:39 Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> Stable plus backports is, arguably, even better, as then you
>> have security updates as well.
> This is what I go for and would recommend highly - but then I like an easy
> life with my desktop. ;-)

Personally I can't understand the desire to have the latest versions of
things unless you absolutely need some new feature.

Latest version unless they're quite minor increments will always carry
the risk of problems. Sometimes severe problems.

If I need a very latest version of something, then I will usually build
it on a known stable machine. That won't make me immune from problems,
but it will certainly help and should also constrain the extent of problems.

Like Lisi, I like an easy life with my machines. I have a fair number of
them and they're tools to help me earn a living. If I'm fixing the
tools, I'm not earning.

Gordon.