Re: [Hampshire] Urgent Bash Vulnerability (fwd)

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: surrey
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Urgent Bash Vulnerability (fwd)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, Bob Dunlop wrote:

> Ah but have you applied the correct patch ?

Thanks for pointing that out Bob.

At the time I wrote my last email there was no Centos/RHEL update for
CVE-2014-7169 only a work around.

> There has been a followup to the initial patch which was incomplete.
> Patches applied this morning may pass your test but still leave you
> vulnerable.
>
> You need fixes for CVE-2014-6271 (the original) and CVE-2014-7169.

While that is true, as I understand it CVE-2014-7169 is far harder to
exploit than CVE-2014-6271 so the risk is much lower.

If you are RHEL based (and even if you are not it provides some useful
background) there is an interesting article here:

https://securityblog.redhat.com/2014/09/26/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-shellshock-bash-flaws/

I see there is also a further update to bash today, I've now updated to
bash.i686 0:4.1.2-15.el6_5.2

Andy