Re: [Hampshire] Munich Council was: (no subject)

Author: pavithran
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Munich Council was: (no subject)
On 20 August 2014 16:16, Joseph Bennie <jay@???> wrote:
> Its interesting that most people are not citing complaints about linux. The
> actual complaints are about applications and specifically office
> productivity and collaboration.
>
> document exchange with companies.

Basically it boils down to exchanging MS Office documents with other
groups in government which haven't shifted yet. The sad thing here is
the attitude of Libre Office developers in not writing or pushing
OOXML compatablity in Libre office. Their main priority is ODF and for
me and all our LUG members we are happy with that stand .
Kingsoft office apparently is a chinese software team which had
written an office program which offers perfect compatiblity with the
newly published OOXML standards.

Libre Office has some serious lessons to learn if it really wants
people to migrate.

1. Fix the OOXML compatablity issue.
2. Improve the UI to atleast look cool / modern

1 has its own reasons but 2 Libreoffice in 2004 and 2014 almost look
the same while MS office has changed , though I wasn't suggesting that
there be huge UI / workflow changes it should be comparable enough to
MS office.

Why bother about MS office - I dont give a darn about it but people in
govt offices work on them all their life and they care. The other
issues are all with "Exchange" being advertised as superior product
which is just bollocks they could get a decent mail/communication
platform with GNU/Linux

Regards,
Pavithran