Re: [Hampshire] (no subject)

Author: Roger Munford
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] (no subject)

On 19/08/14 18:40, Peter Collins wrote:

> On Tuesday, 19 August 2014, Jon Wilks <jonnyx10e3@???
> <mailto:jonnyx10e3@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have seen a few web sites are reporting that the City of Munich
>     is regretting the Linux deployment and are moving back to windows
>     (see [1] and [2]).  Is this right ?
>     ue
>     Anyone out there know if this is true?

>     Jon
>     [1]
>     http://www.neowin.net/news/munich-germany-realizes-that-deploying-linux-was-a-disaster-going-back-to-windows
>     [2]
>     http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/08/linux-on-the-desktop-pioneer-munich-now-considering-a-switch-back-to-windows

> This page suggests those reports aren't true but the council are
> reviewing IT systems.
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/article/no-munich-isnt-about-to-ditch-free-software-and-move-back-to-windows/

The previous long serving social democrat - green coalition has recently
changed to a social democrat (equiv labour) - csu (equiv conservative)
coalition with a change of mayor to boot. Microsoft are planning to move
their German HQ to Munich in 2016 so I think that it may not be all to
do with the success or failure of the now maturing migration. It
certainly isn't realising that Linux has been a disaster.
I have a maintenance contract with an international agency based in
Munich and visit occasionally. A German colleague told me that new
bosses "like to piss in every corner" when they start so this could be a
ritual bounds setting or some behind the scenes manipulation by Microsoft.
Munich is a fine city, world leading in many aspects such as alternative
energy, public transport and waste management. I thought that it was
characteristic when they started the migration away from Microsoft.
Hopefully the migration was as successful as it appears and the evidence
is so strong that the politicians,
however influenced, cannot go back. If so I hope they get Windows 8.

Roger