[Hampshire] Code base and Emergency Data Laws

Author: Damian L Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Code base and Emergency Data Laws
Hi

Emergency data laws, when I upload new code to open source game codebase
i.e. file bombs.c will it trigger an alert? I recently updated and added
quite a lot of new code to
http://sourceforge.net/p/dspaceinvadors/code/HEAD/tree/dsi/

I sent some of the below to my local (Labour) MP asking about the effect
on the Data Protection Act and Safeguarding consumers. I received a
prompt and authentic response - but no detail other than available
on-line. There is very little detail. House of Commons is about to enter
summer recess.

I hope others do the same and send a letter or email to their MP with
technical or other concerns.

After all, the changed EU directive that triggered these Emergency Data
Laws, retracted privatised data retention.

--- snip ---

I believe the emergency data retention and investigation powers,
internet data laws (DRIP) are unfair to consumers. The two areas of
greatest concern are Data Protection and Safeguarding.

Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) - Part IV Exemptions, Section 28

DRIP, as it stands in context with DPA, will surely effectively render
itemised phone usage information, currently readily available,
inaccessible to consumers - the data will be kept in the interest of
national security.

If access to phone usage is retained, will access to internet browsing
meta data, email meta data be allowed (by default non exempt)?

Safeguarding consumers against side effects of DRIP

How will users protect themselves against faulty data? Identity mix-ups
by ISP staff is [very] common. [think of moving house]

--- snip ---

Damian

--
Area25-5, free Android arcade game port: http://goo.gl/qMziKk