Re: [Hampshire] Raspberry PI and Solar chargers

Author: Daniel Llewellyn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Raspberry PI and Solar chargers
On 12 June 2014 20:07, Steve Miller <stevem@???> wrote:

I'd still avoid cheap clones of Prolific devices (frequently PL2303 without
> serial numbers). I have never had a problem with FTDI devices though they
> are a little more expensive and they too are being cloned now.

Unrelated to the discussion on timers, I was wondering what the main
difference was between the cheapo clones and those they're clones of and
more expensive FTDI-based serial adapters? There seems to be quite a
discrepancy between the two classes of devices, and I recently plumped with
the FTDI-style because they seemed more like they were likely to be
compatible but I have no idea why that may be so.

Any insights, theories or myths would be interesting to hear not least just
to put my mind at ease that I didn't spend over-the-odds for two cables
(one with an RJ45 end to connect to my mikrotik router and one with a
bog-standard RS232 connector)

--
Daniel Llewellyn