[Hampshire] Lacie Backup Disks

Author: David Webb
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Lacie Backup Disks
I have a couple of 1TB usb based backup disks which I alternate between home
and my daughters house. They are Samsung HJ103UJ disks in a Lacie enclosure.

Both have developed a fault in which I can read files for about 10-20s but
they then freeze. I have tried reformatting one (ext4) but then running fsck
on the reformatted disk fails after about the same amount of time (although
the time does vary between different runs).

I guess it is the end of the line for both disks but it seems odd that it has
happened to both and in both cases the electronics seems fine up to the point
of failure. (I then have to remove the power before I can mount and read them
again).

Does anyone know of an obvious cause for this type of failure - dust,
movement, overheating - or how to get into the enclosure (to clean) without
destroying it?

Regards,

David Webb.