Re: [Hampshire] What XBMC Hardware?

Author: Stuart Sears
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What XBMC Hardware?
On 27/04/14 10:25, Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Replies inline:

[snip]
>> At home I've got a couple of XBMC machines set up, both Atom boards. One's
>> an Acer Aspire Revo - it's okay, but was a little fiddly to get all the
>> audio configured. The other was a Zotac Zbox (can't remember exactly which
>> model though) and it was a breeze to set up (I went with XBMCbuntu rather
>> than OpenElec), and it runs the TV in the living room. Pretty much on all
>> the time; we never watch broadcast telly.
>
> Good to hear another point that the Acer Revo works fine. I did the
> research so I know about the sound fiddles but it has been solved.
> I've bookmarked some blogs/forum posts where they list the config file
> changes needed.

FWIW I have one of these as my XBMC machine, plugged in over HDMI and
also using the optical out to my AV amplifier.

Audio out on either/both of these "just work" using the newest openelec
build or generic xbmc on top of another distro (although I've stuck with
openelec now, it's a single-purpose box)

what are these supposed audio problems? I've never had any.

[snip]
>> At home I do run a separate file-server for the media (the XBMC boxes has
>> little SSDs to keep them quiet), and a shared SQL server for the app
>> database,

ditto, MySQL and NFS on an HP microserver for me, streamed over 300M
powerline adapters. Getting the external DB up and running in openelec
requires a bit of cmdline-fu but that's not particularly difficult and
there are entries on the XBMC wiki on how to achieve it.

Works

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.