Re: [Hampshire] NASs

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NASs
Hi,

One of my customers uses Synology and another users QNAP. Those seem to be the Kings of the NAS products. They both have slick Web GUIs.

QNAP definitely works with Linux from both a GUI and a supported file sharing perspective. During setup, it asks you which OSes you want to use and configures folder sharing accordingly. The one thing I don't think works is the QNAP finder app which you need to find it the first time when you set it up. nmap does a perfectly good job of locating it on the network though. I believe Synology is also Linux friendly and I intend to buy one of the two brands as my next device.

Some time ago, I bought an IOMega network drive. It has consistently been a pain and I wouldn't touch their stuff again. It is very crashy, requiring frequent reboots.

They also issued a critical security bulletin last year that pointed out a serious issue if shared folders are set to be accessible without a password from the local network,  as I'm sure many people have, such as the media for my TV and HiFi. If the drive has been joined to an IOMega cloud account, as they encourage you to, any shared folder set to open access with also offer full rights to any unauthenticated user on the internet, even if they aren't a member of your personal cloud group. The GUI doesn't make this clear.

To be fair, they did man up and disclose honestly but that was after mine had been potentially allowing anyone who had stumbled across my IP address read write access for over a year. I have also observed strange network activity between it and my TV for a while. Strange enough that I noticed it on the switch lights. To be fair, I don't know whether it's the TV or the drive that's doing the chatting but the switch lights make it clear that there's not an appreciable amount of data going anywhere else.

Bests,
Paul.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse my brevity.