Re: [Hampshire] HantsLug Facebook was Hampshire Digest, Vol …

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HantsLug Facebook was Hampshire Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2013-12-19 15:25]:
> On 19 December 2013 15:02, Chris. Aubrey-Smith <cas194@???> wrote:
> > I, too, will have nothing to do with so-called social media sites. I have an
> > e-mail address; that is enough.
>
> My point was to find new blood. It was not intended to suggest that
> Facebook would supplant the website, mailing list, IRC channel, pub or
> other "meatspace" activities.
>
> Merely a method by which for the LUG to promote itself, its activities
> and use the tools at our disposal to get people to even know the LUG
> exists and then perhaps take part.
>
> We have haemorrhaged people for years and very little has been done to
> undo that.
>
> IMHO.

** end quote [Alan Pope]

I think there may have been a HantsLUG Facebook group some time back. There was
definately a Dorset one which I took over ownership of when the original owner
vanished; that I let drop in the Facebook group cull since there was no
interest. I suspect the Hants one went the same way. There is still a HantsLUG
Twitter account, although I'm not sure who owns it; the last tweet looks to
have been in May 2010! These things really need managing in a promotional way
or not at all, basically promoting events and pointing people towards the list,
which is really the main focus of most LUGs (with meets for a subset of
members).

I have to agree that HantsLUG does seem to have dwindled. At one point it was
the most active LUG list I was on by a large margin, and I have subscribed to
quite a few of the LUG lists over the years. Now when I consider posting
something I tend to consider whether other LUG lists and other avenues would be
better. In the past it would always have been the HantsLUG list first; it is
still my local LUG though, and having been here since the late 90s I tend to
feel vested in wanting it to thrive :)