Re: [Hampshire] SATA conundrum

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SATA conundrum
On Nov 27, 2013 1:34 PM, "Artur Łądka" <arturladka@???> wrote:

> On 27/11/13 12:02, Tony Whitmore wrote:
>>
>> It's a limitation of old BIOSes - look for a BIOS update that might

address the issue. If you can't find one then you might be out of luck...

>> Tony
>>
> And even if disk is not recognized by BIOS try to boot up from LiveCD/USB

and check if this new HDD is visible there. If yes, you can install grub
and /boot/ partition on separate drive which BIOS can recognize (can be USB
drive or IDE-to-CF adapter).

> Some hard drives have a jumper to set them in SATA I mode - check yours

if it is possible.

I would try this also. Even if the bios does not recognise it, if you can
get a Linux kernel booted from cd or usb, the kernel driver might recognise
it.