Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

Author: Paul Freeman
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box
On 2013-10-15 00:11, Paul Tansom wrote:

> True, but they aren't what they used to be, largely I suspect due to
> the
> tighter tolerances of the higher capacities. For example, I have a
> 120M drive

I still have a mighty 40M Quantum drive which I used to use with my old
A500 too I think it probably still works as well! ahh the days of 68k
asm coding *sigh* :)

anyway I was going to counter slightly and say that I have experienced
much better reliability of drives in recent years... I'd say things were
not so good (for me at least) when the cutting edge was around 4-6Gb
size.. when I had quite a few failures of Western digital units. in 1999
I bought a several mighty? Seagate Barracuda 29Gb drives and they lasted
well beyond the warranty of the time.. enough that I have pretty much
stuck with Seagate Barracuda's since then both for home use and at work
(hosting servers) and Seagate Cheetah/Savvio in more recent years.

I have also had pretty good experience with Hitachi Deskstar drives too

I have 15 or so crucial m4 ssds currently in service of various
sizes... they did suffer from a firmware issue which caused them to
lockup after ~5,200 hrs of operation (fixed with a firmware reflash
update) but aside form that they have been good thus far

I have had controller failure/bugs masquerading as drive failure on
quite a few occasions

There has been a noticeable shortening of warranty terms on many newer
larger drives particular sata ones.

backup backup backup - frequently :) and if downtime/backup restoration
is an issue for you perhaps raid5

speaking of old Amiga days my old coding/hacking cohort Jools/BuZz of
xbmc4xbox, jogglerwiki fame has a raid5 (mdraid) array about 5 years in
age using Samsung Spinpoint drives... it gets quite heavy usage and is
still badblock/re-alloc sector free across all drives!

> in my old Amiga that still works (well did last time I used it, but
> that was
> only a couple of years ago), as well as an 80M drive in my old 386
> laptop that
> still boots, and a few 250M to 500M drives I still have in a box of
> drives to
> scrap that survived a DBan earlier this year. All these have had
> solid daily
> use over their primary phase of ownership (even if they have been
> retired or
> stored for now). At the same time I've had several 500G drives die
> after just
> over a year.

I'm always interest to know what those drives were?

>> Trusting any of these completely will eventually burn fingers.

Indeed

I'll post an update regarding the drive failure that this post will
undoubtedly bring upon me in a fews days :)