Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

Author: Daniel Llewellyn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box
I'm confused.

surely raid-10 with two devices is no different to raid-1?

I don't get how raid-10 is any different, or maybe that should be "how it's
possible to be any different", to so-called raid-0+1: at the end of the
day, you need two copies of the data (RAID-1) but when you have more than
two devices you stripe the raid-1 mirror onto two sets of raid-0 drives.

The article Keith linked seems to suggest that RAID0+1 is a raid-0 on top
of raid-1, as opposed to raid-1 on top of two raid-0 arrays, which I can't
conceptualise. raid-1 appears as a single contiguous block, so how do you
then lay a striping pattern on top which requires at least two devices?
Maybe the author thinks you have two raid-1 arrays, thereby requiring at
least 4 drives paired into two pairs and then stripe between the two raid-1
devices? this is getting complicated!

On 4 October 2013 07:07, Keith Edmunds <kae@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 07:03:13 +0100, kae@??? said:
>
> > How are you doing RAID-10 with two devices?
>
> Answered my own question (http://neil.brown.name/blog/20040827225440).
> --
> "You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone
> who will never be able to repay you."
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Daniel Llewellyn