Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box
On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 13:41 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:

> I've seen reports of SSDs failing too. I currently have 7 from various
> manufacturers in place in different machines. Not had a single one
> fail yet. I've had my fair share of rust go bad.

The people with the problems tend to make the most noise.
Of course.

> I realise my anecdotal evidence is meaningless, but so long as you
> have good backups a failed SSD is about the same inconvenience as a
> failed hard disk.

Well that's good to hear, and as it should be.

BTW, I never meant to imply that SSDs were bad in any way, just that
they're not necessarily as good as one might expect of solid-state.
And they're still quite a bit more costly than rust, byte-for-byte.

Gordon.