Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Peter Alefounder, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade
On 21/08/13 17:34, Peter Alefounder wrote:

> I was considering getting this from Portswood Computers:
>
> case with 500W PSU
> Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 motherboard
> AMD Dual Core A4-5300 (3.4GHz) with integrated HD7480G graphics
> 1 x 4GB DDR3 memory 1333MHz
> 500GB SATA hard drive
> SATA DVD+-RW
>
> which they are selling for 320 pounds. They said this would be
> cheaper than buying the parts separately as they do a discount for
> complete machines.

Novatech have something that sounds not dissimilar in their barebones
section (no discs etc.) for £164.

They say that does have a VGA D-Type. Gigabyte seem unsure .. in one
place it says yes, in another it says no. Odd.

Novatech officially don't support their products on Linux, however a
number of their staff run Linux, so do know what they're doing and might
make helpful suggestions. I've used them many times, and usually am a
satisfied customer.

> So far, searching with Google has
> done nothing but make me think that getting/building a computer that
> runs Linux is becoming more difficult.

In recent years I've done only fairly cursory research about whether and
PC will run Linux OK, and so far I haven't come unstuck with that.
Mostly the worst that happens is that the graphics card works, but not
in '3D accelerated' mode. I have given up with a couple of Bluetooth chips.

There are some complications installing onto machines that have the UEFI
BIOS, because installations 'must be digitally signed'. I doubt there
are any systems, though, on which you can't turn that off.

On the whole, I think getting Linux running on most PCs is easier now
than it's ever been (IMHO). Generally, only the UEFI causes
complications, but I think doesn't stop Linux, and Dual booting with
UEFI is also tricky. Most other stuff just works.

Unfortunately, of course, I can't actually promise hat it will in any
particular case. Personally, though, I'd be surprised if it doesn't.

Gordon.