Re: [Hampshire] Spamalot

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Spamalot
On 27/06/13 22:58, Chris Dennis wrote:
> On 27/06/13 21:24, Anton Piatek wrote:
>> I assume akismet is not an option?
>
> No, it's a plugin. :-) And it's installed, but it only deals with
> comments -- random users have been logging in (despite the captcha)
> and creating new posts.
>
> Since installing 'picklewagon' a few days ago, over 250 new 'users'
> have attempted to register: they haven't been able to create any
> posts, but now I've got to go through them to check that there aren't
> any genuine new users in the list, and delete them all.
>
> Perhaps we need a captcha AND the admin-confirmation thing that
> picklewagon provides, but it all adds to the tediousness for genuine
> would-be contributors to the site.
>
> Any more ideas?
>
> cheers
>
> Chris
>

>> Anton
>> --
>> Anton Piatek
>> http://www.strangeparty.com
>>
>> No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
>> significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
>>
>> On 24 Jun 2013 12:59, "Chris Dennis" <cgdennis@???
>> <mailto:cgdennis@btinternet.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 18/06/13 19:01, Tim wrote:

>>         I use this on my WP site,

>>         http://picklewagon.com/__wordpress/new-user-approve/
>> <http://picklewagon.com/wordpress/new-user-approve/>

>>         Basically new users have to be approved, a pain in the rear yes
>>         but it
>>         stopped all the Polish mobile O2 spammers that were getting on
>>         my site.
>>         It sends an email to let you know somebody is requesting a
>>         registration
>>         you simply approve or ignore, your choice, works for me

>>         Tim

>>     Thanks for that, Tim.  I've added that to the HantsLUG site, so
>>     we'll see how it goes.

>>     cheers

>>     Chris
>>     --
>>     Chris Dennis cgdennis@???
>> <mailto:cgdennis@btinternet.com>
>>     Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

>>     --
>>     Please post to: Hampshire@???
>>     <mailto:Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk>
>>     Web Interface:

Maybe one of the reasons you have so many attempts to register an
account is that the web page was known to be an easy target. Maybe in
the coming weeks and months the attempts will drop and the admin work of
checking the users will drop to a more acceptable level when they
realise the registration is now a moderated procedure. When I first used
the plugin on my blog I still had people trying to register but when
they realised that the registration was now moderated they stopped
signing up.

Tim