Re: [Hampshire] Linux compatible cameras - prices and shops

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux compatible cameras - prices and shops
On Sunday 16 Jun 2013, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple-to-use camera that is Linux compatible. It's for
> my mum, who is in her 70s, so point, click is about as complex as it needs
> to be. Her PC runs Linux, supported by yours truly from 165 miles away, so
> ideally she would connect the camera to the PC with a USB cable and it
> would Just Work.

One other thing to check is price, whatever you buy there are wild and silly
price differences, and it's worth checking out:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

to see what is happening to the camera's price. I recently bought a Canon
PowerShot S110 and the prices between shops varies a lot and at some places it
varies by the hour - so it's worth checking out what is happening before you
buy.

Don't rule out John Lewis, they don't sell the cheapest of the cheap, but they
treat their customers better than most and what they do sell is often a good
price. My Canon SLR was a lot cheaper from them than Amazon or Jessops when I
bought it from them.

One other suggestion is don't forget second hand, you can get some nice
cameras cheap if you are lucky, and being not bleeding edge they often have
good Linux support and an optical view finder which is less common on the
latest cameras. E.g. London Camera Exchange.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

While it may be faster than DLT tapes, 're-typing' is not a
valid recovery strategy.
    -- anon