Re: [Hampshire] Simple Database apps

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Simple Database apps
On Wednesday 15 May 2013 20:57:47 Peter Collins wrote:
> Hi Phil
>
> On 15 May 2013 19:13, Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:
> > My question is, what can I use that will be no more complicated
> > than PHP/HTML, will run on Windows /Cygwin, and be available on Linux
> > too? Ideally for my simple database type app,
>
> Also have you thought about LibreOffice Base? that would be cover on
> Windows and Linux.
>
> Rgds
>
> Peter.

I would seriously consider running a MySQL DB (standalone, no Apache or PHP)
and then front-ending with Access over ODBC or LibreOffice.

I recently did an Access front-end and it wasn't too bad. I'm not saying it
was a pleasurable experience, but I got through it without gouging my eyes
out.

LibreOffice Base was similar the last time I used it. It has a few nice touches
like being able to change the DB Schema from LOB; And of course, it's cross-
platform, so a little less lock-in.

Both Access and LOB take a bit of learning, but they are both very capable
packages.

Cheers,

Tim B.
--