Re: [Hampshire] Simple Database apps

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Simple Database apps
On 15 May 2013 19:56, Richard Bensley <richardbensley@???> wrote:

> As James mentioned you can run the Apache/MySQL/PHP stack on windows.
> Which is a great solution.
>
> Mysql, PHP, and Apache are all cross compiled to run natively on most
> platforms.
>
> WAMP server currently provide the whole stack at 64bits!
> http://www.wampserver.com/en/#wampserver-64-bits

It is a good solution, just not what I want. I don't want to have to run
and maintain two sophisticated apps, just for one simple db.

This is a simple single user database similar to what someone may create in
Access to keep some records. What I need to do is keep a record of some
tests that I do at work. I could use access, but I don't want to. I could
just create a table in Excel or other spreadsheet, but that would be
horrible.

I am not a programmer, but I can fudge things when I try. Some simple C or
Python is not a problem, but I always hit a wall when it comes to UI. Seems
there is lots of code required to build and operate the interface. So
really, I want something like Python or PHP, and a really simple UI
construction like HTML/CSS.

I don't know if there really is an answer, but I thought I would put it out
there in case I have missed something.

--
Philip Stubbs