Re: [Hampshire] Wiki broken?

Author: Chris Dennis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wiki broken?
On 24/04/13 12:59, Tim Brocklehurst wrote:
>> Resurrecting a 5 month old thread..
>>
>> I'd still like to edit a page on the wiki. Alternatively I'll move the
>> content somewhere else where I can edit it, which makes me sad. What's
>> the solution to this?
>
> Alan,
>
> Either register from the main page (http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/), or
> contact Chris Dennis (webmaster@???) and he can grant you
> access.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim B.

Yes, the old wiki still requires manual intervention (by me) to create
accounts for editing pages. I'm more than happy to do that for people
who ask.

If anyone can tell me how to improve that situation, I'd love to hear
from them. As it is, when I enable new users on the wiki, it gets loads
of spambot types registering and messing it all up.

The new Wordpress-based website does allow automated registration. You
just have to negotiate the 'captcha' thingy and confirm receipt of an
email, and then you're qualified as an 'editor'. (This too suffers from
a few spambot registrations that get past the captcha, but so far they
haven't caused any damage.)

BTW, I have transferred some of the pages from the wiki to the new site:
the Linux Hints and Members' pages.

cheers

Chris
--