Re: [Hampshire] Filing system for USB back disk?

Author: Chris Dennis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Filing system for USB back disk?
On 30/03/13 19:39, Anthony wrote:
>> From: Keith Edmunds <kae@???>
>> On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:27:51 +0000, cgdennis@??? said:
>>> What's the current thinking regarding the best filing system to use for
>>> an external USB backup disk?
>>
>> That's a bit like asking which single engined aircraft is best for flying
>> the Atlantic. You talk about "your client": if they are a commercial
>> organisation, and they think that backups to a USB disk are a good way of
>> doing backups, I suggest that they need educating.
>>
>> First question to ask them: When you did your last test restore from
>> backups, did you experience any issues?
>
> +1. USB wasn't (isn't?) very well specified so there are reports of
> buggy drivers. eSata could be another option to look at.
>
> If they're unplugging during backups as you mentioned, they might do
> better to mount the disk with the sync option, a separate issue from the
> FS used. Better still try to provide a clear indication of when the
> transfer has and hasn't completed.
>
> When checking the last test restore take a look at the -c and -n flags
> to rsync, don't settle for 'it seemed to work'. Good luck :)
>
> Anthony

Yes, I know a USB disk isn't the ultimate in disaster recovery planning,
but 'my client' isn't a multinational corporation, he's just the
self-employed bloke down the road.

I'll make sure it's using the 'sync' option for mounting.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???