Re: [Hampshire] Debian packaging

Top Page
Author: Chris Smith
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian packaging

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57571100.hantslug.org.uk.29007': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 22 10:51:27 2013 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 11BEF6408586B4B2
Hi Vic,

On 21/03/2013 09:36, Vic wrote:

> Has anyone got a numpty's guide to Debian packaging? I've got to build
> some .debs, and the docs I've found are somewhat lacking in detail...

The basic procedure is:

1. mkdir -p deb_file/DEBIAN
2. vi deb_file/DEBIAN/control -- fill in the package details
3. add your content to deb_file with the correct structure:
    deb_file/usr/bin/foo

4. create the md5sums: (cd deb_file; find * -not -name etc -not -name
DEBIAN -type f -exec md5sum {} \;) > DEBIAN/md5sums
5. create the package: fakeroot dpkg-deb -b deb_file .

I've attached a small tgz containing a Makefile system which I use to
create packages. It's very simple and probably not very good, but it
works for me and is probably a good enough starting point for you.

Regards,
Chris
--
Chris Smith <cjs94@???>