Re: [Hampshire] Digital SLR recommendations

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Digital SLR recommendations
On Monday 18 Feb 2013 15:26:43 Roger Munford wrote:
> Tony,
>
> She was hoping for something around £300. However she could stretch to
> £400. The DS3200 looks like it may justify the extra.
>
> In the past she has made short videos with friends. At Christmas she
> made a very good job of a family calendar which we sent to relatives
> (who are chipping in to the cost). She will be doing GCSE art next year
> and wants to do a photography project. I am relenting a bit from my
> instinctive cheapness because I think the right tool would encourage her
> existing interest.
> She is also doing GCSE astronomy so something for the stars would be a
> bonus.

I have a Canon 550D, which I mainly got for astronomy. With a
T-adapter it connects to the back of a telescope, and I've also
used it for night sky exposures. I'm also very happy with it for
use as a standard camera (though it is a bit bulky).

Extra lenses also help, though obviously you don't need them
immediately. The 300mm lens on my Canon can resolve the moons of
Jupiter.

For astronomy however, you really need a webcam. Apparently. I
haven't managed to find one yet that can be connected to a telescope
that I know works on Linux. My attempts to instead use the camera in
video mode haven't given my the results that I wanted.

Whether it's better/worse than equivalent Nikon I have absolutely
no idea (and as I understand it, therein lies a religious war akin
to Emacs and Vi).

--
Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                  Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn