Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On 2013-02-14 12:18, Chris Liddell wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:53:06 -0000 (GMT)
> "Vic" <lug@???> wrote:
>

>> > Other companies take PDFs and strip all formatting, as I
>> discovered
>> > to my detriment....
>>
>> Think yourself lucky. I had an agent strip an entire page from my CV
>> once, and had the interviewer repeatedly complain that I'd done
>> nothing for 3 years after University.
>
> I don't like using Word (mainly) for that reason. I quite understand
> wanting to tailor a CV for a given job, but I would prefer if the
> agent
> would contact me, and have me do the tailoring - having the agents do
> it seems to open up considerable scope for abuse.....
>
> ... for example, I attended an interview a few years ago where the
> interviewer asked me to outline my C++ and ObjectiveC experience,
> which
> it seemed had been mysteriously added to the C experience I
> originally
> listed, somewhere between leaving me and arriving at the
> interviewer's
> hands.
>
> After we'd cleared up the confusion (and established I was not a
> suitable candidate!), he told me this was not the first time that
> particular agency had done something like that but, despite
> complaints,
> his company's HR dept insisted on going on accepting CVs from them.
> In
> retrospect, I figured I'd had a lucky escape!
>
> Ho-hum.....
>
> Chris

We had an agency on our "preferred supplier" list who turned out be be
using us to screen candidates for another company, every time one got to
final interview stage they ended up taking another job with a well known
broadcasting company.

When we found out what they were doing (thanks to feedback from a
couple of the interviewees) they were "struck off".