Re: [Hampshire] SSD Laptop HDD as drop-in replacement?

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SSD Laptop HDD as drop-in replacement?
Brill - thanks very much for the info James & others.

I'll check out the Crucial brand of SSDs.

I feel the HDD is the "weak point" in my laptop as it's more than
enough in the other departments (Dual-core CPU, VT-x extensions, 2G
RAM, Intel graphics) for what I do with it.

On 9 February 2013 14:00, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> wrote:
> On 8 February 2013 21:50, Imran Chaudhry <ichaudhry@???> wrote:
>> I'm thinking of buying an SSD for my Dell Inspiron 6400 when Debian
>> Wheezy becomes stable and to benefit from fast bootup.
>>
>> The laptop is 2006 vintage and has a "spinning rust" SATA drive. Can I
>> just use any SSD SATA laptop drive as a drop-in replacement or do I
>> have to be careful about particular types eg SATA II/III, BIOS
>> incompatibilities etc?
>>

> I have that exact same laptop. I put a 7mm SSD in it, and it made an
> amazing difference to the speed of the laptop.
> The only thing you really need to care about with HDD to SSD
> replacement is the height of the HDD, is it 9.5 or 7mm high.
> The 6400 can fit both 7mm and 9.5mm SSD.
> I would advise that you purchase a 7mm SSD because then it is more
> lilely to fit into a new laptop when you eventually need it.
> I put a Crucial M4 7mm in mine.
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F
http://about.me/imranchaudhry