[Hampshire] [OT] Car based entertainment

Author: LUG
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Car based entertainment
Hello all,
We are going to be driving to Scotland to visit the in-laws in summer and
accompanying us will be our (by then) year old son. He has recently
discovered the joy of The Tweenies and other CBeebies based entertainment
(or rather, we have discovered that said programs will keep him quiet long
enough for us to make his next meal and/or tidy up the previous one) so I
have started investigating if there is a fairly economical way of playing
programs in the car with the hope of making the 8+ hour journey slightly
more pleasant for all of us.

I have seen the screens attached to the back of headrests in cars and I'm
not sure if these are portable DVD players or portable MP4 type players.
Firstly, his car seat is rear-facing so this would need to be something
that would attach to the head-rest on the back seat, which is a different
shape to the front head rests.
Secondly, both of the above devices are obviously very limited in their
functionality which got me on to thinking about buying a tablet so that we
could at least use it for other purposes after the journey.

Has anyone used a tablet for this purpose?
If not, what are people's general recommendations for reasonably cheap
tablets (by that I mean something under or around £100)?
I suppose the priorities are the ability to play various video formats,
good battery life and enough storage for a good few episodes of Mr Tumble.
Also something that is Linux friendly so that I can connect it to my laptop
and be able to copy stuff onto it without hassle.
A quick look on ebay brings up several Blackberry Playbooks going for about
£80 and they look to have a pretty good spec but the number for sale and
the low price makes me slightly suspicious.

Any advice appreciated,
Keith