Re: [Hampshire] Raspberry Pi Questions

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Raspberry Pi Questions
On 5 February 2013 09:44, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:

> ** Dr A. J. Trickett <adam.trickett@???> [2013-02-04 20:22]:
> > Having actually seen and photographed a Raspberry Pi I think I'm sold on
> the
> > idea of them. I currently have an Ethernet switch under the TV, spare
> power
> > and a CRT (composite TV input) though I do plan to replace it with a
> flat TV
> > of some sorts eventually (HDMI input).
> >
> > It seems to make sense that a RPi Model B makes sense, it would be small,
> > silent and fun - it appeals to my inner geek. I've a few questions:
> >
> > 1) Where is the best place to get one? Maplin or Farnell or RS?
> >
> > 2) What else does it need?
> >       An SD card for the OS and local storage
> >       A case
> >       A USB power supply
> >       A USB keyboard and mouse if you want to drive it directly
> ** end quote [Dr A. J. Trickett]

> I've been keeping a careful check on costs: (lifted from a spreadsheet)
>
> Raspberry Pi Costs
> ---------------------------
>
> No.    Item    Cost                    Notes

> 1    Model 'B' Hardware Kit        £33.89
> 2    Pre-loaded 16Gb SD Card        £13.99
> 3    Wireless LAN USB Plug        £9.99
> 4    User Guide            £9.09
> 5    Case                £5.65
> 6    Power Supply            £4.99        *Could be powered via USB
> 7    USB Adapter for Keyboard    £0.00        (From stock)
> 8    HDMI Display Cable        £0.00        (From stock)
> 9    USB Hub                £0.00        (From stock)
> 10    Display                £0.00        (From stock)
> 11    Keyboard (PS2 Plug)        £0.00        (From stock)
> 12    Mouse                £0.00        (From stock)

> Incidentally, if you have a powered USB hub, the R-Pi doesn't need a

separate power supply.

I didn't really need the pre-loaded SD card, but I thought it would 'smooth
the way'.

The only problem I've had concerned the keyboard (one is warned about
this!) I didn't have a spare USB keyboard so I had to resort to one with a
miniature DIN plug and the adapter as listed.

I'm mightily impressed by the whole thing!

Chris