[Hampshire] HD activity

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] HD activity
Hi all

For some reason, the external drive that my media centre has all its stuff
on has just started working really hard. I'm not sure whether I should be
worried but my **ix is very much basic so could someone help me zero in on
what might be causing this.

The server currently has no windows open

Uptime reveals 0.35, 0.47 and 0.25

Finger reveals only two users logged in (me from ssh on another box and me
on console)

Normally at this stage, I'd do a netstat -a and or a ps aux to find out
what's using the CPU and network but having done both, I see a lot of stuff
I can't interpret (for example CPU processes enclosed in square brackets)
and besides which, as I'm in gnome on the desktop, I'd assume these are all
required processes.

What other checks should I be doing?

.and while on the subject, I need to tie down this machine's firewall a bit
better. Using ufw, I want a rule which allows any sort of access from my
subnet (and obviously nothing beyond) - can anyone give me the syntax?

Cheers

Rob