[Hampshire] Videoing talks

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] raspberry-pi event
Subject: [Hampshire] Videoing talks
Hello folks

I had a go at videoing Rich's talk at the meeting this afternoon, using
my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30 compact camera (not a dedicated video camera).

The results were pretty good, and I learned a few things:

1) Make sure the SD card is not almost completely full of the family
Christmas photos. It was, so I could only record part of the talk.
2) Automatic focus loses it's grip on a grey screen with not much text
on it. My camera doesn't do manual focussing.
3) It's easier to get a good picture than good sound. In fact the sound
I got today wasn't too bad, although it did pick up quite a bit of
background noise. My camera just has a built-in microphone, with no
socket for an external one.
4) It's amazing how modern cameras can get good results without special
lighting, and store it all on a bit of plastic the size of your thumbnail.

I think it was Alan Pope who used to video HantsLUG talks, and he became
adept at creating good presentations from them, complete with titles and
stuff.

If Alan is reading this: did you find a way to directly capture what's
being shown on the screen in the meeting room as well as videoing the
speaker? Do you have any tips for the next generation of HantsLUG
videographers?

Does anyone have the necessary equipment and skills (and inclination) to
do this properly at future meetings?

cheers

Chris