Re: [Hampshire] Meeting Talks

Author: Paul Freeman
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Meeting Talks
On 2013-02-02 19:20, Chris Dennis wrote:
> On 30/01/13 12:26, Andy Smith wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:19:22PM +0000, Chris Dennis wrote:
>>> Automatic account creation will not be re-enabled, because we get
>>> dozens of spammers/bots logging in and causing havoc. Please
>>> contact
>>> me at webmaster@??? if you want an account on the wiki
>>> and/or the new Wordpress website.
>>
>> Fair enough if this is the way it has to be, but I would note that
>> this is extremely hostile to newcomers, who will likely never
>> request an account form a human for a variety of reasons.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andy
>
> You may well be right. Can anyone recommend a WordPress plug-in that
> allows bot-proof automatic creation of new users?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/si-captcha-for-wordpress/

would probably suffice, you can choose which WordPress forms have
captcha protection as well, there's probably other plugins as well but
this seems to work ok!

using "Akismet" + "Cookies for Comments" plugins are also a good
options for comment spam.

Paul