Re: [Hampshire] Box on last legs

Author: Anton Piatek
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Box on last legs
I think you need to rule out the kvm first.

It could be overheating, but modern cpus should be stable to at least 60 or
70 deg c as measured on silicon, maybe higher.

The psu seem less likely to me, but I've never had one fail, other than
completely, but have had every other thing fail over the years and produce
odd errors.

Ram can be tested easily, the rest is a bit harder to test. Cpus normally
only overheat but other components on a motherboard can be more finicky.

It is worth saying I have had cpu overheating issues from old thermal
paste. Removing the cpu cooler, cleaning it and reseating with new, quality
thermal paste solves that.

Anton