Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations - Windows AV

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations - Windows AV
On 20/01/13 11:48, Rob Malpass wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I think the time is fast approaching where I will have to buy some
> form of internet security tool for my W7 box. At present I use free
> stuff (ZoneAlarm) but this is now not as good as once it was. For
> example once upon a time, if a process asked for internet access, you
> would say "Yes" and tell it to remember your response and that was it.
> Nowadays a Java update always asks (and the tick box comes up saying
> I've previously said it was ok -- conclusion why ask me again?).

My kids all use AVG Free Edition alongside whatever is installed by
default with Windows 7. They go to all the usual sites that young people
visit and don't seem to have any issues, either with viruses and malware
or keeping the signatures current.

They don't use ZoneAlarm or any other additional firewall products.

> ...and while I'm on the subject -- what do folks use on Linux machines
> for this kind of thing?

I played around with Clamav years ago but these days don't bother with
anything. My understanding of AV on Linux was that it is useful where
you are sharing files with Windows users and don't want to be a conduit
for infected files, and apart from that I believe it is fairly redundant
as things currently stand. In my opinion your main line of defence is a
decent firewall, restricting open ports down to just those you use,
followed by good passwords and common sense where browsing and malware
is concerned.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk