Re: [Hampshire] Best hardware for HTPC

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Best hardware for HTPC
On 8 January 2013 20:10, Alan Pope <alan.pope@???> wrote:
> On 07/01/13 13:59, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>
>> Regarding Blu-Ray, I just find it frustrating.
>> MakeMKV can be used, but it uses illegal blu ray keys, so you might as
>> well just use illegal blu ray keys anyway. Google the VideoLan project
>> to find blu ray keys that permit you to play Blu-Ray.
>

> What law is being broken by having or distributing these "illegal" keys?

I think it's that law that says you can't circumvent encryption. That
made it an offence in itself even if what you are doing (e.g. playing
your own disk on another device) is otherwise perfectly legal. So I
guess that having or distributing the keys is probably covered by
conspiracy or incitement or some such.

Yuk.

Peter