[Hampshire] Best hardware for HTPC

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] educational game?
Subject: [Hampshire] Best hardware for HTPC
Hi there, I'm looking for help selecting hardware for an HTPC and I
know there are a few experts on this list.

I bought a Freeview HD PVR with Blu-ray disk for Christmas but it's
going back! I'm so used to the superb community produced interface of
our existing Topfield PVR that I simply can't put up with the clunky
software interface provided with this beautiful piece of hardware, and
without an open API there's no realistic hope it will ever be sorted.
For example to get from watching a TV programme to looking at iPlayer
is: Functions / Other Functions / Network / Services / iPlayer with
several cursor movements and an OK key to make each selection, a total
of about 15-20 key presses!

So it's got to be Open Source all the way and I think it's time to set
up an HTPC. I did buy a little Acer Aspire a couple of years ago to do
the job but I liked it so much it became my main PC instead and stuck
with the Topfield for TV.

What hardware spec would be sufficient to be an HD PVR (I assume
that's the most demanding HTPC task?) and is there a quiet little box
available with the right specs for a reasonable price? Is Blu-ray
possible yet with Linux?

A secondary question: is it better to go with Myth or XBMC?

TIA, Peter