Re: [Hampshire] Boot times, fsck and large disks

Author: Chris Dennis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Boot times, fsck and large disks
On 31/12/12 10:08, Leo wrote:
> My headless server can take a long time to boot if it decides it needs
> to fsck the large data disks at boot. In order to enable me to log on
> sooner I was thinking of disabling the auto option in fstab for them,
> and adding a script that mounts them in the background during boot. I
> was wondering if anyone else had come across a similar problem, and if
> there was a better way of solving it?
>
> Leo

You can change the filing system's options so that fsck is run less
often (or not at all), and then you have the responsibility of running
the checks yourself at a convenient time.

The relevant command is 'tune2fs' for ext2/3/4 filing systems; there
should be something equivalent for other filing systems.

Happy New Year!

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???