Re: [Hampshire] Windows 8 (Not entirely O.T.)

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Windows 8 (Not entirely O.T.)
On Friday 28 Dec 2012, Tim Brocklehurst wrote:
> Full marks for bravery for that post.
>
> The Gates foundation does actually do a lot of good; but it always seems to
> me like the satisfaction of a guilty conscience (just my opinion).

I know some of the people who receive the money the foundation distributes.
It's a bit sad but a lot of the money is given out for stupid and unworkable
things and a lot of the money is siphoned off to pay for more sensible
science. The depressing thing is that it's not the scientists who planning to
do silly things but Gates himself pushing money into impractical areas.

The good thing is that it's probably paying for a lot of good things but not
what Gates intends...

The base problem of having a small number of people with too much money is
that they can distort things in sometimes very impractical ways and waste a
lot of money perusing silly ideas.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
    -- Albert Einstein