Re: [Hampshire] Dropbox alternative

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dropbox alternative

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57776100.hantslug.org.uk.2649': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Dec 20 14:44:07 2012 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hello,

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:47:55PM +0000, Simon Whitehead wrote:
> Isnt this a job for FTP for example Filezilla??

Only if you live in 1996. :)

SFTP or FTP-SSL arguably more acceptable, though what people tend to
want from "cloud storage" is good OS and mobile device integration.
They want to be able to just drop files into a folder or make a
change to a file and know it will be distributed out without them
having to trigger that. I wouldn't say that SFTP provides that.

Yes you can lash something together using scripts and inotify. This
is not what most cloud storage users are thinking of.

Unison is a bit better because it will satisfy the encryption angle
and has pretty good merging support, i.e. if file has changed on
both sides it will do its best to resolve that without having to ask
you which version you want to keep. Still not really there from the
usability angle, given user expectations.

I have made no recommendation because I don't currently use cloud
storage. Unison and rsync do fit my needs right now. Not so for the
OP I feel.

git-annex looks interesting. Owncloud and Tahoe-LAFS also
interesting projects. Using Tahoe-LAFS you can store your stuff on
multiple different clouds, secure in the knowledge that none of them
can access it. Again, user interface will be the stumbling block
here still.

Disaster planning fans should bear in mind that multiple storage
clouds are backed onto lower level providers such as Amazon S3, e.g.
both UbuntuOne and Dropbox are on S3. So if S3 is crippled, so are
at least two major storage clouds that some people may think are
independent.

Shared fate; no longer just for romance novels.

Cheers,
Andy