Re: [Hampshire] Vodafone USB dongle and wvdial

Author: Ian Park
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Vodafone USB dongle and wvdial
On 17/12/12 21:51, NeilS wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Does anyone the list have any experience with the Vodafone pay-monthly
> dongle and the wvdial package? Before I sign up for one, was it
> straightforward to get working or are there any show stoppers?
>
> For what its worth, I want to use it for a remote monitoring station
> which will be based around a TP-Link TL-WR703N running the OpenWRT
> distro and some USB sensors. I am expecting data requirements to be
> moderately low and after a bit of searching I think Vodafone's £3 for
> 250MB per month contract with a £19 upfront fee for the dongle works out
> most cost effective. Of course, any advice on cheaper deals would be
> much appreciated. (I have looked at using prepaid 3G or GPRS via an old
> phone, but it appears all the best deals are time limited and the
> Vodafone contract wins out after the first few months.)
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Neil

I've had quite favourable experience using a Vodafone *pre-paid* dongle,
bought from Amazon a long time back. Vodafone provide good support using
their own GUI driver package, but I've also had it working using wvdial.
iirc I just had to use wvdialconf to get the dongle recognised, then
plugged in the appropriate user name (web) and password (web) and access
point name.

HTH

Ian