Re: [Hampshire] Reprap

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Reprap
Hi,

On Sat, Dec 15 at 01:26, Peter B. wrote:
> I want to make a reprap.

Well several HantsLUG members here have built them, and several more are
in the process of doing so. For myself, I reckon I'm about 30% of the
way through building my first. Sounds a bit like an AA meeting
announcement :-)

> That can make itself if I have read correctly.

Not exactly although it would be nice. The RepRap can print it's own
plastic parts, you still need to buy a lot of off the shelf metal
components etc. Then there's the not small task of assembling them to
produce a working printer.

> I recall it easy u hants lot that were missing near reading was it not?

I'm a member of the Thames Valley RepRap User Group[1] that I think
you are refering to. Although meetings are in and around Reading the
membership spreads quite wide, I've met people from Southampton,
Bristol, London and all places in between.

Other useful groups are the hackspaces. Reading[2] and Surrey[3] are
two obvious ones, there's others in Bristol and London and something
similar starting up in Southampton.

Big advantage of a group, is the power of group buying for all those
pesky off the shelf components. You'll save a lot of money and wasted
parts joining a group purchase round. Surrey Hacspace is in the
process of putting a group build together[4] with the advantage of
pre-built electronics.

Another advantage of a group build is the classic "a problem shared
is a problem halved". You can see the build process getting better
as people work on common problems. Problems with the TVRRUG round
2 build so far have been minor such as two bolts that are too short,
and a couple of others that are too long and have to be reversed in
the assembly. Saves a lot of individual head scratching.

To keep this on topic, of course all the software to drive a RepRap
runs on Linux. Some members are even taking about intergrating
Rasberry Pi's into the printer itself.

[1] http://tvrrug.org.uk/home
[2] http://readinghackspace.org.uk/wiki/Main_Page
[3] http://sh-hackspace.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page