Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program
On 11/12/2012 16:26, john wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have just read this
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do
> concerning Ubuntu spyware. I thought others in the LUG may be interested.

When I first read that I thought it was just Richard Stallman going off
on one of his "software must be free or die" rants, but I followed some
of the links and there seems to be a number of people who are convinced
it's true. Of course one has to be cautious of things one reads in the
media and especially on the 'Net.

Personally I've already stopped using Google and largely stopped using
Amazon because of their overt intrusions. The recent stuff about levels
of tax avoidance by them both merely encouraging my resolve.

I'd already started to feel some discomfiture about Ubuntu for several
reasons, not the least my displeasure at the Unity business.

I've been an Ubuntu enthusiast for a number of years, but I'm very
seriously beginning to consider a change. I've already switched one of
my distributions away, though not particularly for the reasons above.

Gordon.

--
This message was written elegantly and lucidly, by my own fair hand using a quill pen on hand laid parchment. It was then scanned, OCRed, spiel-chequed, then cat und pastied into this email.

If it's now just gibberish, it's the software's fault.